Starting any new program during the holiday season is challenging but with the alkaline diet I’ve been practicing the 80/20 rule. I’m good about 80% of the time, but if I’m out and about I don’t feel bad about swiping a treat. Especially during the holiday season ~ where sweets are EVERYWHERE.
One of the best (and easiest) changes I’ve made is drinking lemon water first thing in the morning. It’s a great energy boost and everywhere I look people can’t stop singing praises of all the good things that come from lemons…
1. It’s one of the most alkalizing foods there is (you would think it would be more acidic but our bodies metabolized it differently).
2. Helps digestion.
3. Reduces inflammation.
4. Boosts your immune system providing more than your daily dose of vitamin C, plus tons of potassium, folate, vitamin B6, magnesium, calcium.
5. Naturally cleanses liver, kidneys and blood by flushing toxins.
6. Decreases blemishes and wrinkles.
7. Aids in weight loss.
8. Zaps bad breath and gingivitis.
I use one fresh organic lemon and hand squeeze the juice out. (I’ve tried running it through the juicer but don’t like the way the peel tasted first thing in the morning). Sometimes I’ll add a slice of ginger. I use this kettle ($13) and usually stop it when it gets hot but not boiling. The recommendation is to drink on an empty stomach within 30 minutes of waking and then wait another 30 minutes before eating breakfast.
My sister told me about this cool trick to freeze the lemon juice ahead of time in an ice cube tray. So I picked this fancy one up for $4 at TJ Max (BPA free). In the morning all you have to do is pop a cube or two into your mug and add the hot water. Easy-peasy.
I love this kettle. We use it for our French press too.
What do you drink first thing in the morning?