When it comes to eating out with a baby things have changed overnight. He doesn’t just want to sit in his carseat anymore. Ever since Ev has been crawling and sitting up it’s like wrestling snakes to get him to sit still. After taking cues from other moms at restaurants, I’m learning to bring things to keep him entertained.
Tips for Dining Out with a Baby or Toddler
- Bring finger food ~ like cheese, fruits and veggies or Ev’s favorite Mums Organic Rice Cakes Order sides instead of full dishes ~ side of cheese, half an avocado, scrambled eggs
- Have quite toys on hand
- Other things to bring ~ bib, sippy cup, plastic spoon and fork, high chair cover
- Location ~ pick a family friendly place (recently we found a coffee shop with a play area – score!!)
- Location again ~ once you’re at the restaurant sit in the back or near other families
- Eat earlier ~ going out to dinner at 5pm is way easier that trying to eat at 7pm when he should be in bed
- Set your expectation up properly and know that it’s not going to be the same as your pre-baby days
- Don’t leave it a disaster. Clean up the floor (or at least tip well).
But the very best tip I can give you to guarantee a quite, relaxing time…
Hire a babysitter.
I should order a high chair seat covers, but I don’t want to be a germaphboe and I already have so much in my diaper bag but I feel a little guilty when the baby starts to chew on the highchair. Ehhhh. So I’m ordering one this week.